Lemon Curd


My mother in law has this fabulous lemon tree in her backyard. Most years, it produces more lemons than we know what to do with! So we decided we needed to get creative with ways to cook them. We came up with lemon curd. If you've never heard of this before, it's almost like a honey like consistency, but thicker and easy to spread. And it's delicious! I recently made blueberry pankcakes, and I used lemon curd instead of butter and syrup, and it was heavenly. We found this recipe from the Barefoot Contessa, but I've added step by step directions for your convenience.  Here's what you'll need: 

3 Lemons
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1/ pound unsalted butter, room temperature
4 extra large eggs
1/2 cup lemon juice 
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt


First, scrub your lemons


Using a carrot peeler, remove the zest of the 3 lemons, being careful to avoid the white pith.


Put the zest in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Add the sugar and pulse until the zest is very finely minced into the sugar.



Juice your lemons.



Cream the butter and beat in the sugar and lemon mixture. 


Add the eggs one at a time, then add the lemon juice and salt. Mix until combined. 



Pour the mixture into a 2 quart saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened. (The recipe says this takes 10 minuets, but it took me 45 minuets of stirring...It's going to look very scary and curdled at first, hence the name, but keep stirring! You will not be disappointed!)


The lemon curd will thicken at about 170 degrees F, or just below simmer (I used a kitchen thermometer). Remove from the heat and cool or refrigerate. 


Final product! Like I said before, I loved it on pancakes. I have also spread on toast, and it was especially yummy on crackers with goat cheese. The possibilities are endless! 


Enjoy!

xo Jac





9 comments:

  1. That looks delicious!! I'll probably never make it because I'm way too lazy for things like that, but next time I'm in AZ you better believe I'll be stopping by for some of whatever deliciousness you're cooking that day! :)

    xo
    Kym
    bitty.and.bunny

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM - I love lemon flavored stuff! have a great weekend :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks supper yummy. Im going to try it soon and Ill let you know how I like it :)

    xox, Isa
    www.amazinglybe-au-tiful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delish and love how you used a mason jar :) I've always wanted a lemon tree. Hopefully one day I'll have one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM!! Isn't lemon curd theeee best?! :)

    I adore your cute ring and pretty nails!!

    xo
    Lizzie

    placeclevertitlehere.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky! I wish we still had our lemon tree! This sounds like it would be really delish on pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yumm!! I love lemon everything :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soooo good! I love it just like that!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...