5 Tips For Looking Great On A Budget

Jacqueline O. 
I'm am such a fan of fashion and trying out the latest styles, but that always isn't in our budget. Over the years, I've had to learn through trial and error how to come up with looks I feel great in, while spending little to no money. Instead of keeping these little nuggets of knowledge to myself, I thought I'd pass along my top 5 tips to looking great while on a budget.



1. Plan Ahead
After years of coming home with items I thought I needed in the store, and immediately suffering from buyers remorse, I've learned to not go into a mall or store without a plan of attack. First, I go through my closet and browse Pinterest to find out what's missing from my closet. And I'm not talking about the newest "it" bag or that pretty patterned dress that won't transition well from season to season. I'm talking about basics and items that are going to enhance my wardrobe. 

On the top of my list currently is a super simple LBD that's more on the casual side, and I have a million ideas for restyling it with pieces I already possess in my closet. I'll admit, this trick is a little difficult to pull off while thrifting. If I go into a store with my mind set on finding the perfect denim jacket, but then find Tory Burch flats for $5 (true story), I'm not going to leave without them just because they weren't on my list.





2. Host a Clothing Swap Party

This is a great way to add to your wardrobe without spending a dime, and it's super fun! The swap parties I've been to in the past have been a time to share your favorite appetizers, have a cocktail or two, and try on your friends clothes. I'm also a big fan of keeping it organized just to enhance to whole "shopping" experience. Think hanging the clothes in available closets or free standing clothing racks. It also helps to have clothing divided by size. It's a lot more work, but so worth it in the long run. It also makes it feel more like shopping in your favorite store.


3. Look For Inspiration - Then Shop Your Closet
There have been so many times I've been scrolling through Pintrest and have found the perfect outfit, only to realize I already have all the elements in my closet. Even just the simple adjustment of tucking your shirt in a certain way or pairing those sneakers with a blouse and skirt instead of the tried and true jeans and T. Pinterest has great inspiration that helps you think outside that box, and helps expand your wardrobe.



4. Add Cheap Accessories To Change A Look
I love Forever21 just for this reason. they have all the cute stuff you see in magazines, for a fraction of the price. Just the simple addition of a colorful statement necklace or chunky bangles can breath new life into an outfit you feel you've worn to death. Plus, they have all the on-trend pieces, so even if you're wearing a t-shirt and jeans, you are still on point with that perfect necklace in the color of the moment. 


5. Layer What You Have
I have changed the look of so many pieces just by layering. Adding a t-shirt tied at the waist can transform a dress into a skirt. Layering a blouse under a strapless dress can completely change the whole aesthetic of a look. Just be creative and have fun with it, the possibilities are seriously endless.

Do you have any tricks or tips you use to save your money, but still look cute? Let me know, I'd love to hear them!

-Jac

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...